Monday, 13 September 2010

Roald Dahl Day

Whizzpopper! 
Snozzberry! 
Scrumdiddlyumptious!

Without Roald Dahl, those words and many more would not have become engrained within my childhood memory.  I would not have known that children could become sealed inside paintings, or that a Big Friendly Giant wandered the streets delivering dreams to children as they slept. 

On the other hand, if I hadn't read The Twits, I could still eat spaghetti without thinking about squirming worms, and see huge beards without wondering what might be festering inside... but that is a small price to pay.

The worlds within Roald Dahl's books may not be pretty, predictable or safe, but the journey you take within their pages is always a magical one.  The Witches is deliciously frightening, The Twits is foul and disgusting.  But my favourite book has always been Fantastic Mr Fox.  I still haven't watched the movie version because I don't want to spoil the adventures of Mr Fox and Badger that live within my imagination!

As I got older, I enjoyed The Wonderful Story Of Henry Sugar, and Boy and Going Solo were brilliant reads, made even better by the fact that they were drawn from the author's real life.  I grew up with the editions illustrated by Quentin Blake and I still love his artwork today.


I'll always be glad that I discovered Roald Dahl's books.  They are weird and wonderful and well worth a second look if you haven't picked one up in a long time.  You can find a good list of titles here and you can find out more about the man himself at the official website - http://www.roalddahl.com

I'm off to drink some Frobscottle and seek out the recipe for Wonka's everlasting gobstopper.

Which book is your favourite?

3 comments:

  1. Happy Roald Dahl Day :D

    I love his books - my favourites are Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox. Ooh the BFG and The Witches (I don't think i'll ever forget this one lol) and I really enjoyed his Boy and Going Solo books.

    Loved his stories when I was younger and can't stop myself smiling when I think of them :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Jenna, we've featured your post on our Roald Dahl Day blog round-up on the Quotables blog: http://bit.ly/a2LyK1

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed Roald Dahl is one of the best author that I have know that I have ever read and for me he the hero of mine childhood. My one of the favourite’s books from his collection is Matilda.

    ReplyDelete