Wednesday, 8 June 2011

The Month Of May

May was definitely a rollercoaster of a month, but the best part of it had to be the Blackwatch Book Tour.

During the second week of May I caught the train to London to spend the week with my publicist Maura, zipping to and from the capital, visiting schools, libraries and bookshops around southern England.

One of the towns we visited was Worthing on the south coast, where we met this dapper fellow. 

An absolutely enormous seagull!

We were having lunch at a cafe called Parklife (you should go there if you can - their paninis are delicious) when this great feathered beast swooped down looking for a snack.  He managed to grab something from the table beside us before being ousted by the local gull patrol.

This little girl certainly takes her job seriously.

This is me standing on Worthing pier on a rather blustery day.  You can't quite see him in the water behind me, but there was a heroic swimmer out there, braving the cold for an afternoon swim.  Whoever you are, sir, I salute you.

The school groups I spoke to were all fantastic.  (I think Silas may have picked up a few new fans.  I'm not sure what he'd think about that!) The tour days zipped by in a blur of train journeys, gorgeous countryside and London bustle and the week ended with the Headline Bloggers Party!

Here is the view of London from the Headline offices where the party was held.

To get there, I travelled up in the fantastic glass elevator, which is definitely the best way to zoom up the side of building.

I met some lovely people at the party.  I chatted with Rhys from Thirst For Fiction.  Vivienne from Serendipity. Darren from Bart's Bookshelf. Sarah from Feeling Fictional. Michelle from Clover Hill Book Reviews.  Darren from The Book Zone.  Liz and Sarah from My Favourite Books, and more!

I also got to meet the fabulous author and illustrator Cathy Brett, who drew this sketch of me on the day.


If you haven't read her books yet, seek them out, book fans!
It was a brilliant end to a busy week.

The next day I was back on the train home to Darlington, ready to start work on a brand new story.  May was a month of madness, but now I have new pens, new characters and a new world to create. My travelling shoes must rest for a while.
It's time to get back to the desk!

1 comment:

  1. Yay! A celebration of Worthing and Parklife - the best place in the world to get cupcakes! I just wished I had managed to get down to meet you there.

    At least I got to meet you at the Headline do which was lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete