Thursday, 7 March 2013

World Book Day - Books From The Past

Once again, I've left it a while between blog posts, but since today is World Book Day I've popped in to share with you some of my favourite books from the past.  These are books I absolutely loved when I was younger and they still remind me of my childhood whenever I return to them, for lots of different reasons.

Here, in no particular order, are my memory makers.

Fantastic Mr Fox - Roald Dahl.

This was a real 'read by torchlight under the duvet' book for me when I was in junior school. I remember borrowing it from the 9+ section of the school library when I was seven and feeling very rebellious!







The House Of Tribes - Garry Kilworth.


This book will always remind me of the first proper stab I had at writing full length book chapters.  I enjoyed the story, decided to rewrite the last two chapters my own way - just for fun - and was bitten by the writing bug.







The Adventure Series - Enid Blyton.


The Sea of Adventure, The Island of Adventure, The Castle of Adventure... I read these books over and over when I was nine.





101 Dalmatians / The Starlight Barking - Dodie Smith.

I still keep a treasured hardback copy of these two stories.  The Starlight Barking  has stayed in my imagination and I think of it every time my dogs are barking outside, passing along messages of great importance to the neighbourhood dogs.



 



The Chronicles Of Narnia - C.S. Lewis.

I loved the later books in this series in particular: The Voyage Of The Dawntreader, The Silver Chair and The Last Battle.







 Which books are your memory makers?  And what are you reading right now?

2 comments:

  1. I loved the narnia series as a girl. Maybe one to reread soon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tales.

    ReplyDelete